Funding for Doctoral Supervision
Applications for the Carnegie Corporation funds are now closed.
Through the generous funding of the Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY), the African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a number of short term Doctoral Supervision awards to candidates that wish to enrol for the Doctoral Supervision course at the ADA Summer School that will take place from 08 - 19 January 2018.
A few places are open to candidates from Africa, and South Africa. For South African applicants, preference will be given to delegates from hisotorically disadvantaged institutions.
Candidates in any discipline, that are new or novice PhD supervisors. Candidates must already hold a PhD, or be about to graduate in the next few months.
Preference will be given to:
1. Candidates from under-resourced programmes or universities at CCNY-funded projects and Historically Disadvantaged Institutions in South Africa are encourage to apply.
2. Students from CCNY Projects at SU will not be excluded, but will have to compete with other candidates.
Application Process now closed
- Applicants must complete the online form to submit their details and register intent to partake in the programme.
- Applicants are requested to email the following documents to Ms Amalsha Galhenage at email@example.com clearly marked with the following information and making use of the following naming format: your surname.typeoffile.programme (for example smith.curriculumvitae.ds.docx) etc.
The required documentation is as follows:
- A Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- A letter of motivation no longer than 500 words addressed to Ms Amalsha Galhenage at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of motivation should include why the candidate is the ideal choice for the residency, and how it will benefit the completion of their degrees and possible articles (as relevant)
- A letter of support from your home institution, giving the applicant leave to travel.
The Award covers the following items:
- Return Economy airfare*
- Self Catering style accommodation for 7 nights* and shuttles to and from Cape Town International Airport.
- Visa costs and travel insurance where needed**
- Course fee, Course material and textbooks
- We request that the home institution or hosting department cover the cost of the candidate's daily subsistence allowance.
*Please note that changes to flights or additional nights stay will be at your own cost.
**Where applicable we will reimburse for visa costs and travel insurance where needed. Please ensure to email for a reimbursement well before your arrival so that the refund is ready on arrival.
Applications will close 30th September 2017 and after a vigorous selection process, the results will be made available shortly afterwards with the intention being to allow candidates adequate time to arrange for their visas and leave to travel.
The ADA reserves the right not to make any selections for the programme if enough applications have not been recieved.