Chairperson - David
What made you join MDS?
Dancing has been my passion for as long as I can remember. Before I joined MDS, I was mostly into hip-hop, break-dancing, ya know, generic freestyle.
But after attending an MDS opening function, and witnessing the elegance and fire of Ballroom and Latin dancing, I grabbed the opportunity to learn something
new with both hands (and feet!).
Why did you apply to join the comm?
To be more involved in everything and spread the Gospel of Dance! There are still many unbelievers out there, and I wanted to help dispel the “I can’t dance” excuse.
What aims/goals do you have for MDS next year?
MDS is always accelerating forward with initiative for new events and fun activities. I’d like to see that continue and contribute towards getting
many more dancers on the floor, especially for Intervarsity! MDS is marketed as the most social society on campus, and that claim should be backed
up with lots more socials and interaction, both with students and the community.
Sum up your personality:
At first glance, I am quiet and reserved. But I can be more energetic than a kangaroo that needs the bathroom if you let me.
I love helping others, spending time with friends, and making new ones.
Anything else you'd like to say
MDS is a dance family. I'd like to help create an atmosphere where our members eagerly look forward to getting
on the floor and, upon arriving for their class, say “I am home” :D
What else do we need to know about you:
• I have a Pit-bull named Choco (after the cereal “Choco Pops”, because his mom’s name was Coco...).
• I was an EP gymnast, 1st team hockey player, and I’ve rep’d SA at a couple of international science conferences.
• When I buy a new pair of shoes, no matter what kind, I always test if I can dance in them first.
David van der Westhuizen
MSc Laser Physics
Years in MDS:
Level of dance in 2012:
Cha-Cha, Rumba, Jive and Tango.
• All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players.
--Shakespeare, As You Like It, ii, 7
• The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus.
Exercising, drawing, reading, and playing the keyboard.
RnB, Hip-hop, House, Gospel, Rock, Pop, and a hint of Classical to keep me cultured.