Owing to the efforts of Dr GC Nel, professor of Botany at the time, the University Council allocated the current site for the Botanical Garden in 1922.
Dr Hans Herre was appointed as the first curator of the garden in 1925.
The main purpose of the garden is educational and therefore it contains both indigenous and exotic plants. One or more plant groups are always being cultivated for taxonomic research under the watchful eye of skilled lecturers.
As the garden encompasses 1,8 hectares only, it has to focus mainly on miniature plants such as succulents, herbs, dwarf shrubs, bonsai and pot plants, and it is therefore possible to view quite a large variety of plant species per hectare.