The integrated Master’s Programme in Sustainable Development comprises two connected formal degrees, where students can choose to exit the programme after one year, graduating with a PGDip in Sustainable Development, or continue from the PGDip into the MPhil in Sustainable Development.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) in Sustainable Development – 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Sustainable Development – 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time
As the various global social and environmental crises deepen, a new generation is rising up into leadership positions in the public, private, and non-profit sectors, thus requiring a broad trans-disciplinary understanding of the various dimensions of these crises and related solutions.
This integrated Master’s Programme aims to equip people with the knowledge, experience, and skills they will need if they are to grow and develop to be ready for a different future.
Delivered by the Centre for Sustainability Transitions (CST) at Stellenbosch University, in collaboration with the Sustainability Institute, the Master’s Programme in Sustainable Development integrates a multi-disciplinary understanding of the diverse issues involved in the planning, management, and practice of sustainable development throughout the world, and Africa in particular. Signing up for a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) or Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Sustainable Development means more than an accreditation. You will meet and build a life-long network with a diverse group of like-minded, Southern African and international graduate students and working professionals, who are seeking to gain practical insights and deepen their understanding of what sustainable and just futures means.
This degree programme is aimed at early and mid-career specialists and generalist professionals in the public, private, and non-profit sectors. Each year, a cohort of around 60 students embark on a one- or two-year journey in sustainability.
Click here for the PGDip and MPhil in Sustainable Development module offering for 2022. Please note that not all elective modules listed in the Prospectus are presented every year due to the Centre’s resources and student numbers.
Download the prospectus below:
Please refer to our prospectus for the entry requirements of the programme in which you are interested.
PGDip (Sustainable Development) – 30 September 2021
MPhil (Sustainable Development) – 30 September 2021
- International applicants: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/maties/admissions/international-students
- International Office: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/SUInternational
- Postgraduate Office: sun.ac.za/pgstudies
- Study fees (provisional quotation): https://www.sun.ac.za/english/maties/fees/provisional-statement-of-fees-(quotation) . DIY guide to generating a provisional quotation can be found here
- Postgraduate funding: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/research-innovation/Research-Development/postgraduate-funding-support
Programme Leader: PGDip in Sustainable Development
Dr Megan Davies
Programme Leader: MPhil in Sustainable Development
Dr Joy Waddell