Article Writing Workshop for Senior Graduate Students and Staff, Friday, 4 November 2022

Drawing on the expertise of visiting Professor Extraordinaire, Prof Meg Samuelson (University of Adelaide) and visiting researcher Assistant Professor Dr Martin Moraw (American University Cairo), the English Department recently invited graduate students and staff to a workshop on how to write for journal publication. This workshop took place on Friday 4 November at Devon Valley Hotel and Conference Centre.

Professor Samuelson looked at questions like ‘Why is it important to publish my research?’, ‘How do I identify a good publication outlet that fits my research?’, ‘How do I avoid predatory journals?’ and ‘How do I create an article out of a thesis chapter?’

Dr Moraw used one of his publications as a case study for the session on how to structure an argument and Professor Steiner, co-editor of the Taylor and Francis Journal Eastern African Literary and Cultural Studies explained the review process and how to deal with the reviewers’ feedback in revising articles for publication.