FVZS Honorary Lecture
The FVZS Honorary Lecture is hosted annually at Stellenbosch University to honour the late Dr Van Zyl Slabbert’s legacy and to create a platform for our student leaders, academics, the broader community and prominent leaders in various fields to engage critically with current South African political and governance issues.
Van Zyl Slabbert’s reputation as an agent of change in the recent history of South Africa cannot be underestimated. His engagement with social issues and promotion of the concept of democracy through the course of his career, are testimony of his service to South African society.
Previous guest speakers include:
- 2019: Ms Marianne Thamm – writer, editor, satirist and columnist
- 2018: Dr Wendy Luhabe – social entrepreneur
- 2017: Ms Judith February – governance specialist and columnist
- 2016: Dr Enthoven – Executive Chairman of private investment group Yellowwood
- 2015: Mr Isaac Shongwe – non-executive director of Barlow World Logistics
- 2014: Mr Jay Naidoo – chairperson of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (Gain) and a former minister in the Nelson Mandela Cabinet
- 2013: Ms Maria Ramos – ABSA’s group executive head & executive head of Barclays Africa
- 2012: Mr Harold Pakendorf – political analyst and friend of FVZS
We therefore annually invite our growing number of participants, partners and colleagues to the lecture to reflect on our roles as active citizens in society