Photovoltaic Power Systems Programme
The IEA Photovoltaic Power Systems Programme (PVPS) is one of the collaborative R&D Agreements established within the IEA and, since its establishment in 1993, the PVPS participants have been conducting a variety of joint projects in the application of photovoltaic conversion of solar energy into electricity.
The overall programme is headed by an Executive Committee composed of representatives from each participating country, while the management of individual research projects (Tasks) is the responsibility of Operating Agents. By 2008 12 Tasks have been established within the PVPS programme.
The mission of the IEA PVPS programme is: To enhance the international collaboration efforts which accelerate the development and deployment of photovoltaic solar energy as a significant and sustainable renewable energy option.
The IEA PVPS Programme aims to realize the above mission by adopting four objectives related to reliable PV power system applications for the target groups of governments, electricity utilities, energy service providers and other public and private users.
- Objective 1 - To stimulate activities that will lead to a cost reduction of PV power systems applications.
- Objective 2 - To increase the awareness of PV power systems’ potential and value and thereby provide advice to decision makers from government, utilities and international organizations.
- Objective 3 - To foster the removal of technical and non-technical barriers of PV power systems for the emerging applications in OECD countries.
- Objective 4 - To enhance co-operation with non-OECD countries and address both technical and non-technical issues of PV applications in those countries.
- More detailed information about the IEA PVPS Programme can be found in the Annual Reports
Prof Ernest van Dyk (Physics Department NMMU)
Summerstrand South Campus
Downloads / Links
For historical reports from the completed projects, please visit the archive section.
- Annual Report 2008, Implementing Agreement on Photovoltaic Power Systems, April 2009
- Annual Report 2007, Implementing Agreement on Photovoltaic Power Systems, April 2008
- Annual Report 2006. Implementing Agreement on Photovoltaic Power Systems, May 2007
- Annual Report 2005. Implementing Agreement on Photovoltaic Power Systems, May 2006