- There are no prerequisites for entry to this course.
Students are, however, required to possess the strong potential to continue with tertiary studies.
- One year, part-time programme;
- All classes take place during the course of the day.
- Designed for students who wish to accelerate the advancement of their music skills in preparation for tertiary music studies
- Students who plan to enter the Higher Certificate / Diploma / BAMus / BMus programme on completion of this course, must also comply with the University’s entrance requirements.
What does the Advanced Certificate in Music Literacy entail?
- Students must enrol for Music Skills (theory and aural); Practical Music Study in any of the instruments listed below; and General Music Studies. Ensemble and Jazz Theory are optional modules.
- Ensemble performance remains essential for all instrumentalists and vocal students and instrumental students are encouraged to audition for one of the Music Department ensembles
Which instruments can I study?
Any orchestral instrument: strings, woodwind, brass and percussion; piano, organ, harp, recorder, guitar, voice; conducting (choral or band/orchestral).
- Theory – Grade 4
- Practical – Grade 6
NQF Level 4/5
Programme Co-ordinator: Ms Felicia Lesch Tel: 021 808 2349 E-mail: email@example.com
Auditions for Pre-undergraduate Programmes
In order to audition for any of our pre-undergraduate or certificate programmes of study at the Department of Music, prospective students must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com or complete this application form.Application Form
After you have submitted your application you will be contacted by the audition coordinator.
Auditions scheduling is done at the discretion of the audition coordinator.
Audition Dates for 2016:
30 November and 14 December
For a practical audition a student must prepare 2 pieces of contrasting styles of their own choice.
Kindly note that students should preferrably provide their own accompanists, if they audition for voice, an orchestral instrument or conducting.
Theory Placement Test:
All applicants who have some level of music literacy must also write a theory proficiency test as part of the audition.