B of Music (BMus)
About the programme
This four-year programme offers you academic and performance training in music. Practical instruction is given in piano and all modern orchestral instruments, as well as in singing, the harpsichord, guitar, organ, recorder and choir conducting. Ample opportunities are available for music-making in such groups as the Stellenbosch University Symphony Orchestra, the Collegium Musicum, the Stellenbosch Symphonic Winds, Konsubrass, choirs and many smaller ensembles.
The programme offers various specialisation options:
- Music Education
- Music Technology
These options (each with a specific focus on an essential aspect of music) will prepare you for a variety of professions, such as music educator (teacher or lecturer), performing artist (soloist, orchestra player, singer, choir conductor or accompanist), music director, musicologist, composer, music technologist, music journalist and music arranger.
In the first two years everyone takes the same basic subjects (apart from the chosen practical major), but from the third year you choose a particular specialisation option by means of elective modules. Please see our Calendar, page 69, for information on the curriculum of each option.
Should you need more academic support you may take, according to your identified requirements, among others, additional modules such as Music Skills and Practical Music Study: Preparatory, or you may, in preparation for re-auditioning, first do the Department of Music's Higher Certificate for a full year.
- Write the National Benchmark Tests AQL
- For the NSC an aggregate of at least 65%
- Home Language 50%
- First Additional Language 40%
- In the main instrument (or in singing) at least a practical standard in classical music equivalent to the Grade VII examination and theoretical knowledge equivalent to any of the examining bodies' Grade V theory examination
If you wish to take Mathematics as a university subject, then also:
- Mathematics 70%
- Applications close on 30 June
- Selection is based on an audition and theory test at the Music Department in the year before studying, during which candidates must demonstrate proof of the standards in classical music mentioned above. On receiving your application, we send you information about the audition and test
- Information available at email@example.com