BA in Music
About the programme
The BA in Music programme offers academic and performance training in music consisting of practical instruction in piano and all modern orchestral instruments, as well as in singing, the harpsichord, guitar, organ, choir conducting and recorder. Ample opportunities are available for music-making in such groups as the Stellenbosch University Symphony Orchestra, the Collegium Musicum, the Stellenbosch Symphonic Winds, Konsubrass, choirs and many smaller ensembles.
In addition to the music subjects, you choose two other BA subjects from the following list, one of which is a major up to the third-year level: Afrikaans en Nederlands, German, English Studies, Applied English Language Studies, French, Xhosa, Psychology and Mathematics.
With this qualification you can be a private music teacher, performing artist, accompanist or choir conductor. Further studies can give you access to music-related careers such as music journalist (BPhil in Journalism), music therapist (Psychology) and high school teacher (Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) under the Faculty of Education). Postgraduate studies in your chosen major can open up further career opportunities.
See our Calendar entry for further particulars.
- Write the National Benchmark Tests AQL
- For the NSC an aggregate of at least 60%
- Home Language 50%
- First Additional Language 40%
- In the main instrument (or in singing) at least a practical standard in classical music equivalent to the Grade VII examination and theoretical knowledge equivalent to any of the examining bodies' Grade V theory examination
If you take Mathematics as a university subject, then also:
- Mathematics 70%
- Applications close on 30 June
- Selection based on an audition and theoretical test at the Music Department in the year preceding the year of study, during which candidates must demonstrate proof of the standards in classical music mentioned below. On receiving your application, we send you information about the audition
- Information available at firstname.lastname@example.org.