BA in Sport Science
About the programme
This programme studies 'human beings in motion' from a physiological, biomechanical, psychological, philosophical, social and economic perspective. Sport Science includes a theoretical and practical component. The practical component offers you a wide experience of human movement and the development of your coaching skills. Examples of practical components are swimming, athletics, hockey, netball, rugby, cricket, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, dance, fitness activities and recreation activities. The theoretical components include modules such as Biomechanics, Motor Learning, Sport Injuries, Sport Physiology, Sport Psychology, Peak Performance Sport and Adapted Movement Activities.
The programme offers four options from the first year:
- Sport Science with Geo-environmental Sciences
- Sport Science with Psychology
- Sport Science with English Studies
- Sport Science with Afrikaans
When you have obtained this degree, you could qualify yourself further to work as a teacher (options 1 and 3) or as a sport coach, conditioning coach, fitness instructor, sport organiser, sport researcher and other related careers that link for example with adapted physical movement programmes. It also serves as a stepping stone towards postgraduate studies in Biokinetics, Sport Science or Kinderkinetics.
See our Calendar entry for the curricula of the various options.
- Write the National Benchmark Test AQL
- For the NSC an aggregate of at least 60% (excluding Life Orientation) (Updated: the paper publications show this required average incorrectly as 65%)
- Home Language 50%
- First Additional Language 40%
- Mathematics 40% or Mathematical Literacy 70%
- Physical Sciences 40% or Life Sciences 50%
- Attendance of sport practicals is compulsory
- Applications close 30 June
- 60 students are selected
- Conditional selection based on your Grade 11 final examination aggregate if you have not written matric yet
- Applicants are not required to fill out and hand in a selection questionnaire and a medical form for study in 2021