Diploma in Practical Music
About this programme
The three-year Diploma in Practical Music programme offers specialised performance training in music. It lays an academic foundation that equips you to teach your main instrument. Practical instruction is given in piano and all modern orchestral instruments, as well as in singing, the harpsichord, guitar, organ, choir conducting and recorder. Ample opportunities are available for music-making in such groups as the Stellenbosch University Symphony Orchestra, the Collegium Musicum, the Stellenbosch Symphonic Winds, Konsubrass, choirs and many smaller ensembles.
See our Calendar entry for the curriculum.
- National Benchmark Tests not to be written
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- For the NSC, at least 40% in each of four school subjects (excluding Life Orientation)
- In the main instrument (or in singing) at least a practical standard in classical music equivalent to the Grade VII examination and theoretical knowledge equivalent to any of the examining bodies' Grade III/IV theory examination
- Applications close on 30 June
- Selection is based on an audition and theoretical test at the Music Department in the year before studying, during which candidates must demonstrate proof of the standards in classical music mentioned above. On receiving your application, we send you information about the audition
- Information available at email@example.com