The high number of rated scientists at Stellenbosch University bear witness to its world standard in research.
Apart from research output, the quality and impact of research at tertiary institutions in South Africa are also reflected in the number of rated scientists, identified through the National Research Foundation (NRF) rating system.
The NRF rating system is a benchmarking system by which individuals that exemplify the highest standards of research, as well as those demonstrating strong potential as researchers, are identified by an extensive network of South African and international peer reviewers. Ratings are based on the quality and impact of recent research outputs (over an eight year period).
The most distinguished categories are:
- A - for researchers regarded as world leaders in their fields;
- B - for researchers that enjoy considerable international recognition by their peers;
- C - for researchers regarded as established in their field;
- Y - for promising young researchers and;
- P - for young researchers, with exceptional potential, that are likely to become future international leaders in their fields.
Awards are valid for a period of six years.
|NRF Rating Brochure|