History

1956

Noblesse Oblige

140 students move into Simonsberg with Prof C Gunter as the first resient head and Gys Steyn as the first primarius. During the first house meeting on 27 February 1956, the motto Noblesse Oblige is introduced by Jan Loubser

1958

Fleur de Lis

During a house meeting, prim Ivan Kirsten announces that the Fleur de Lis, the emblem of the French royal court, was selected as the res's badge. Braam de Vries (lyrics) and Reino Otterman (melody) compose the huislied (Reino would later become the head of the US konservatorium, and Braam a well-known Afrikaans writer).

1960

The First Springbok

Jannie Engelbrecht becomes Simonsberg's first rugby Springbok, the first of several to follow in the years to come. 

1961

Die Simonsberger

Edited by Sarel Burger, Die Simonsberger is the first res newspaper released in South Africa, "om die manne in die twee vleuels van Simonsberg hegter saam te snoer in één Withuis". The Grand National, the predecessor to the Met, is started by Hermann Giliomee and Gerrie de Necker. The first reunion was also held. The inter-res boxing tournament is introduced and Simonsberg box under the leadership of Vloog Theron and Dave Graaff.

1963

The Met

The famous Simonsberg Met is introduced. Haas Schoeman becomes the house's second Springbok, and Marius (Mossie) Mostert becomes our first film star after his role as lead actor in "In die Lente van ons Liefde".

1966

The Kennedy Visit

Robert Kennedy visits Simonsberg.

1970

The Argief

On 21 May 1970, the Simonsberg Argief ("Archive") is established under the leadership of Hennie Basson.

1988

Dr Danie Schreuder

Dr Prieur du Plessis steps down as resident head and is succeeded by Dr Danie Schreuder, the first Simonsberg old boy to serve in that position

1989

Die Oudbond

The committee of Simonsberg old boys is officially established in the eetsaal. Kleintjie Bellingam opens the Oudbond's trust fund with a donation of R10 000.

1994

The American Flag

It was officially decided that the American flag (inspired by the Kennedy visit in 1966) would be flown with the house flag in front of the residence.

1995

Die Withuis

"Die Withuis" is officialy adopted as the residence's second name, and the name is displayed on the front of Simonsberg.

2003

Elliot Molefe Eetsaal

The eetsaal is officialy named after "Chief" Elliot Molefe, who was head cook at Simonsberg for 34 years.

© Copyright 2020 Simonsberg

Created with Mobirise - Get now