After completion of a BSc degree with Chemistry (either at Stellenbosch or another institution offering equivalent degrees), students may enroll for the HonsBSc program. The department offers two options for the degree:
HonsBSc in Chemistry
This one-year degree program provides chemical training to postgraduate students in advanced analytical, organic, physical and inorganic chemistry, and short courses on a variety of special topics. All students are also required to complete a research project. Admission requirements for Honours in Chemistry or Polymer Science. For applications to be considered the following minimum requirements need to be met: (1) A BSc degree with Chemistry as major. (2) An average final mark of at least 60% for Chemistry 3. Note that the Departmental committee that gives final approval for admission can impose additional requirements.
Structure of program
During the 1st semester the structure of the program is modularized as follows:
- Analytical techniques, covering molecular spectroscopy (NMR, IR, MS), chromatography and electrochemistry
- Organic chemistry, covering modern synthetic methods
- Physical chemistry, covering theoretical molecular models, applications of symmetry
- Inorganic chemistry, covering advanced coordination and organometallic chemistry, application of homogeneous catalysis, X-ray crystallography and supramolecular chemistry.
- During the 2nd-semester students carry out a research project in any one of the department’s research groups, while also attending two lectures per week on a variety of special topics.
Language specification: E
HonsBSc in Polymer Science
This program, which is unique in the country, is presented over the course of one-year full-time study. The course material is intended to bridge the gap between the student’s knowledge of undergraduate level chemistry and a more in-depth study of the various aspects of polymer science. Within this program there is also a stream in Textile and Polymer Science, which focuses on textile science.
Structure of programme
The degree is subdivided into four modules, as follows:
- Polymer Chemistry
- Advanced Analytical Polymer Science
- Physical Polymer Science
- General Polymer Science and Special Topics OR Special Topics in Textile and Polymer Science
In addition, the student will complete a research project in the 2nd semester in one of the research groups in the polymer science division or in the textile science division.
Language specification: E
Admission requirements For admission to either HonsBSc program, prospective students have to fulfill the following requirements:
- A BSc degree with Chemistry as major
- An average final mark of at least 60% for Chemistry 3
- Pass marks in Mathematics 114 and 144, or their equivalent.
For admission to the textile and polymer science stream, an average of at least 60% for chemistry 344 and 354, applied chemistry 324 and 344 and textile science 314 and 344, is required.
For more information and for inquiries regarding admission, please contact Chemistry
Ms Brenda Chordnum Tel: +27 (0)21 808-3357
Polymer Science Ms Erinda Cooper, Senior Administrative Officer Tel: +27 (0)21 808-3172
Textile Science Ms Adine Gericke Tel: +27 (0)21 808-3341