After completion of a BSc degree with Chemistry (either at Stellenbosch or another institution offering equivalent degrees), students may enroll for the HonsBSc program. The department offers two options for the degree:
HonsBSc in Chemistry
This one-year degree program provides chemical training to postgraduate students in advanced analytical, organic, physical and inorganic chemistry, and short courses on a variety of special topics. All students are also required to complete a research project.
Structure of program
During the 1st semester the structure of the program is modularized as follows:
- Analytical techniques, covering molecular spectroscopy (NMR, IR, MS), chromatography and electrochemistry
- Organic chemistry, covering modern synthetic methods
- Physical chemistry, covering theoretical molecular models, applications of symmetry
- Inorganic chemistry, covering advanced coordination and organometallic chemistry, application of homogeneous catalysis, X-ray crystallography and supramolecular chemistry.
- During the 2nd-semester students carry out a research project in any one of the department’s research groups, while also attending two lectures per week on a variety of special topics.
Language specification: E
HonsBSc in Polymer Science
This program, which is unique in the country, is presented over the course of one-year full-time study. The course material is intended to bridge the gap between the student’s knowledge of undergraduate level chemistry and a more in-depth study of the various aspects of polymer science. Within this program there is also a stream in Textile and Polymer Science, which focuses on textile science.
Structure of programme
The degree is subdivided into four modules, as follows:
- Polymer Chemistry
- Advanced Analytical Polymer Science
- Physical Polymer Science
- General Polymer Science and Special Topics OR Special Topics in Textile and Polymer Science
In addition, the student will complete a research project in the 2nd semester in one of the research groups in the polymer science division or in the textile science division.
Language specification: E
Admission requirements For admission to either HonsBSc program, prospective students have to fulfill the following requirements:
- A BSc degree with Chemistry as major
- An average final mark of at least 60% for Chemistry 3
- Pass marks in Mathematics 114 and 144, or their equivalent.
For admission to the textile and polymer science stream, an average of at least 60% for chemistry 344 and 354, applied chemistry 324 and 344 and textile science 314 and 344, is required.
For more information and for inquiries regarding admission, please contact Chemistry
Ms. D Davids Tel: +27 (0)21 808 -2344
Polymer Science Ms Erinda Cooper, Senior Administrative Officer Tel: +27 (0)21 808-3172
Textile Science Ms Adine Gericke Tel: +27 (0)21 808-3341