MA (UCT), PhD (Cambridge)
Tel: +2721 808 2880
Life Writing; South African and African Literatures; African American Literatures; World Literatures; Modernism; Literary Urbanisms; Gender
World and Transnational Literatures; Urban Studies; Cultural Studies; South African and African Literatures; Critical Theory; Race Studies
- 2013: Categories of Persons: Rethinking Ourselves and Others (Johannesburg: Picador Africa)
- On race, cultural production and imagining differently: a collection of essays.
- M. Jones and J. Dlamini, ‘Introduction, Categories of Persons (Johannesburg: Picador Africa, 2013)
- ‘Moving, Categories of Persons (Johannesburg: Picador Africa, 2013)
- Commissioned: ‘Cities by the water, cities by the sea: Comparing Creolization in Brazil and South Africa’, The Creole Atlantic and Indian Oceans, Luiz Fernando Rosa Ribeiro, Marina Berthet and Shaun Viljoen (eds).
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- “Junk Aesthetics from the global South” commissioned and submitted, Journal of Southern African Studies.
- “The Train as Motif in Soweto Poetry”, The Journal of Commonwealth Literature, published online April 28th, 2016.
- “Haunting the Social: Conversing with Ghosts in Redi Tlhabi’s Endings and Beginnings“, Journal of African Cultural Studies 26.3 (2014)
- “Fracture and Selfhood in Jacob Dlamini’s Native Nostalgia“, African Studies, 73.1 (2014)
- Township Textualities’ Alternation, ‘Race, Power and Indigenous Knowledge Systems, Special Issue (October, 2013)
- ‘Conspicuous Destruction, Aspiration and Motion in the Contemporary Township’ Safundi: The Journal of South African and American Studies, 14.2 (2013)
- ‘Cars, Capital and Disorder in Ivan Vladislavic’s The Exploded View and Portrait with Keys, Social Dynamics, 37.3 (2012)
- ‘Black Mobility and Urbanism in Peter Abrahams’s Mine Boy, Journal of Southern African Studies, 38.1 (2012)
- ‘Keeping House: Domesticity and Disorder in Sarah Gertrude Millin’s Middle Class and The Jordans, English Studies in Africa, 54.1 (May 2011)
- Relocations: Reading Culture in South Africa Review, Chimurenga
- The Blacks of Cape Town Review, Slipnet, December 2013
- ‘A Response to Peter Geschiere’ Johannesburg Salon (November 2009).
- ‘Brothers in Blood Theatre Review’ Johannesburg Salon (November 2009).