Stellenbosch University's (SU) research efforts are aligned with national and international development objectives. The institution vigorously pursues research excellence and capacity development and strives to be a true knowledge pioneer and partner. The university prides itself on the following:
- The SU staff include 430 National Research Foundation-rated researchers, 12 of them A-rated researchers.
- The university hosts 41 research chairs, of which 24 are South African Research Chairs Initiative chairs, funded by the Department of Science and Technology through the National Research Foundation.
- SU has had the highest research output (publications and master’s and doctoral degrees awarded) per capita in South Africa for seven consecutive years.
- The university is regarded as a leader in the fields of biomedical tuberculosis research and management, wine biotechnology, animal sciences and mathematical biosciences.
- SU is a founding partner of the African Research Universities Alliance. The alliance of 16 African universities promotes and strengthens research on the continent.
- The African Doctoral Academy supports Africa’s next generation of researchers, offering high-quality research support to prospective and current doctoral candidates, their supervisors and postdoctoral researchers from across Africa.
For more detailed information, visit the website of the Division for Research Development.