4 June 2019
An opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher focused in higher education studies and science communication is currently available. The research will include at least two projects: (1) a project to assess the health of the higher education and science system in South Africa (Prof N Cloete, project leader), and (2) a project on the changing communications of universities as key actors in the communication of science (collaboration with the South African Research Chair in Science Communication at CREST).
The fellowship is available for a period of two years, starting 1 July 2019, or shortly thereafter, and may be renewed based on performance and available funding. Please note that postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees and are therefore not eligible for employee benefits.
- PhD (must have graduated within the last five years) in higher education studies or in science and technology studies.
- Previous experience in conducting empirical research on higher education studies in South Africa and in the science of science communication.
- Publication record (at least two relevant articles in accredited journals and two relevant book chapters in peer reviewed edited volumes).
- Publication of at least three popular articles in relevant online publications (e.g. University World News, The Conversation, etc.).
- Familiarity with digital communication strategies and their implementation, particularly in relation to scholarly communication.
- Familiarity with open access, open data and other recent developments in the formal system of science communication.
- Computer literacy (with emphasis on Microsoft Office suite and Adobe suite), as well as data visualisation and excellent writing skills.
Applicants should send a completed application form (request from firstname.lastname@example.org) and comprehensive curriculum vitae, including list of publications, and the names and contact details of at least two referees, to Marthie van Niekerk at email@example.com. Applicants should request their referees to forward confidential reports by the closing date direct to the same e-mail address.
Closing date for application is 21 June 2019.
The University reserves the right not to fill the position.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.