Edward K. Kirumira
Professor of Medical Sociology and Director, Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) Stellenbosch, South Africa.
PhD, University of Copenhagen in collaboration with Harvard University, 1996
His work focuses on HIV/AIDS, population and reproductive health, emergent diseases, and global health. He has extensive in-country experience in program development, management, and impact evaluation of several African countries. He has taken up technical advisory roles for organisations including UNAIDS, UNDP, UNFPA, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, NORAD, and DANIDA. Before joining STIAS as Director, Prof Kirumira was Principal of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Makerere University in Uganda and national Chair of the Central Coordination Mechanism for the Global Fund for HIV&AIDS, Malaria, and TB. He is a Fellow of Uganda National Academy of Sciences (UNAS).
- KIRUMIRA, E.K. 2008. The Politics of Coordination and Management of the Multi-Sectoral Response to HIV/AIDS in the Context of Global Funding: Experiences from Uganda. In: Follér, Maj-Lis and Thörn, Håkan (eds.) The Politics of AIDS: Globalisation, the State and Civil Society. London: Palgrave
- ATUYAMBE, L., F. MIREMBE, N.M. TUMWESIGYE, A. JOHANSSON, E.K. KIRUMIRA and E. FAXELID. 2008. Adolescent and adult first time mothers’ health seeking practices during pregnancy and early motherhood in Wakiso district, central Uganda. Reproductive Health. December, Vol. 5 No. 13.
- LARSSON, P., E.K. KIRUMIRA, A.L. STEIGEN AND A. MIYINGO-KEZIMBIRA (eds.). 2009. Sharing Water: problems, conflicts and possible solutions – the case of Kampala. Bergen UiB Press
- EPHATA E. KAAYA, SARAH B. MACFARLANE, CHARLES A. MKONY, ELIGIUS F. LYAMUYA, HELEN LOESER, PHYLLIS FREEMAN, EDWARD K. KIRUMIRA, KISALI PALLANGYO and HEILE T. DEBAS. 2012. Educating enough competent health professionals: Advancing educational innovation at Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Tanzania. PLoS Med 9 (8): e1001284.doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001284.
- MUGEERE, A.B., ATEKYEREZA, P., KIRUMIRA, E.K. and HOJER, S. 2015. Deaf identities in a multicultural setting: The Uganda context. African Journal of Disability. Vol. 4 No. 1
- KIRUMIRA, E.K. 2017. Revisiting Indigeneity: African Potentials as Discourse for Sustainable Development in Africa. In: Yntiso Gebre, Itaru Ohta and Motoji Matsuda (eds.) African Virtues in the Pursuit of Conviviality: Exploring local systems in light of Global Prescriptions. Bamenda: Langaa
- KIRUMIRA, E.K. 2019. A View of Norhed from the South. Interview by Tor Halvorsen. In: Tor Halvorsen, Kristin Skare Orgeret and Roy Krøvel (eds) Sharing Knowledge Transforming Societies: The Norhed Programme 2013-2020. Cape Town: African Minds & UiB Global. pp. 132-153
- UMEYA, K. AND E.K. KIRUMIRA. 2020.”Obwavu”: The Cultural concepts of Poverty Narrated among Refugees in Central Uganda, Part I.” Journal of Intercultural Studies, No.54: 39-291.
- UMEYA, K. AND E.K. KIRUMIRA – in association with Michael Oloka-Obbo, Paul Owora, Robert Kiyegga, Samuel Wamala and Toshiki Tsuchitori (2021).”Obwavu”: The Cultural concepts of Poverty Narrated among Refugees in Central Uganda, Part I.” Journal of Intercultural Studies, No.55: 1-106