PhD, University of Stellenbosch
Ongoing Interests: Racial Categorisation, Racial Science, Specters of Race, Material culture, Historicised Anthropology
- Walters, H. and van der Waal, C.S. (forthcoming) Creating the Coloured Other in South Africa in light of the “Jewish Question” in Germany. Religion and Theology 27(3-4).
- Walters, H. 2020. Re-interrogating Race in Scientific Research: A View from the History of Physical Anthropology. In J. Jansen and C. Walters (eds.) Faultlines: A Primer on Race, Science and Society. Stellenbosch: African Sun Media.
- Walters, H. 2019. Racial Classification and the Spectre that Haunts. In Maré, G. (ed.) Race in Educational Contexts. Stellenbosch: Sun Press.
- Walters, H. and Du Plessis, M. 2014. Pentecostalism in the Dwars River Valley: Challenging the Mission Legacy. In C.S. (Kees) Van der Waal (ed.) Winelands, Wealth and Work: Transformations in the Dwars River Valley, Stellenbosch. Pietermaritzburg: UKZN Press.
- Walters, H. 2012. The Burden of Responsibility and the Breakdown of Traditional Paternalism in the Western Cape. Anthropology Southern Africa 35(3&4):91-99. Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Walters, H. 2019. Race haunts the Halls of Stellenbosch University. Daily Maverick, 8 May 2019. https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-05-08-race-haunts-the-halls-of-stellenbosch-university/
- Mbali, M. and Walters, H. 2013. Rethinking Maties’ Apartheid Past. Mail & Guardian, Getting Ahead supplement, June 7-13, 2013