PhD Sociology, Natal University
Ongoing Interests: Queer Theory, gender, sexualities, youth, education.
- Francis, D.A. (2020) Queering the (ab)normalisation of gender, (hetero)sexuality and schooling in South Africa, Journal of Homosexuality, https://doi-org.ez.sun.ac.za/10.1080/00918369.2019.1701337
- Francis, D.A. & Kjaran, J.I. 2020. Troubling the discourse of the victimization of queer youth in Icelandic and South African education. Feminism & Psychology. (April, 4): https://doi.org/10.1177/0959353520912960
- Francis, DA. (2019) Revealing the intersections between race, same sex-sexuality and schooling in South Africa, Race, Ethnicities and Education, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13613324.2019.1679752
- Francis, D.A. (2019) What does the teaching and learning of sexuality education in South African schools reveal about counter-normative sexualities? Sex Education, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14681811.2018.1563535
- Francis, D., Reygan, F., Muller, M., Brown, A., Dlamini, B., McAllister, J., … Thani, G. (2020). A Five Country Study of Gender and Sexuality Diversity and Schooling in Southern Africa. African Education Review. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/18146627.2017.1359637
- Francis, D.A. (2018) What do queer youth say they need from sexuality education, Journal of Youth Studies, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13676261.2018.1539223.
- Francis, D., Kjaran, J. & Lehtonen J (2020) Queer Social Movements and Outreach Work in Schools: A Global Perspective, PalgraveMacmillan, New York. https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030416096
- Francis, D. (2018). Troubling the teaching and learning of gender and sexuality diversity in South African education, PalgraveMacmillan, New York. https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137530264