PhD, Kings College, University of London
Ongoing Interests: Lindy Heinecken lectures in industrial and political sociology. Her research is within the field of armed forces and society, with a specific interest in civil-military relations, defence transformation, gender integration in the military and peacekeeping.
- HEINECKEN, L. South Africa’s post-apartheid Military: Lost in transition and transformation. Juta/UCT Press,2019, Springer International, 2020
- HEINECKEN L. 2019. Three waves of gender integration: The causes, consequences and implications for the South African armed forces, in Robert Egnell and Mayesha Alam (eds), Women and gender perspectives in the military. Georgetown University Press. 207-221.
- HEINECKEN, L. and WILEN, N. 2019. No Place Like Home? Postdeployment Reintegration Challenges Facing South African Peacekeepers,Armed Forces and Society, Published online December, p1-20.
- HEINECKEN LPT. 2018. Managing Diversity: From Exclusion to Inclusion and Valuing Difference. In: Nuciari M (ed.) Handbook of the Sociology of the Military, Springer International Publishing, United States, United Nations, 327-340.
- ALCHIN A, GOUWS A and HEINECKEN LPT. 2018. Making a difference in peacekeeping operations: Voices of South African women peacekeepers. African Security Review, 27 (10), 1-19. Available: https://doi-org.ez.sun.ac.za/10.1080/10246029.2017.1406381.
- WILEN N and HEINECKEN LPT. 2018. Regendering the South African army: Inclusion, reversal and displacement. Gender, Work and Organisation, 25 (6), 670-686.HEINECKEN LPT. 2017. Transitions and Transformation in Gender Relations in the South African Military: From Support in Warfare to Valued Peacekeepers. In: Woodward R, Duncanson C (eds.) The Palgrave International Handbook of Gender and the Military, Springer Nature, London, United Kingdom, 355-368.
- WILEN N and HEINECKEN LPT. 2017. Peacekeeping deployment abroad and the self-perceptions of the effect on career advancement, status and reintegration. International peacekeeping, 24(2), 236-253. Available: https://doi-org.ez.sun.ac.za/10.1080/13533312.2016.1215247.