Currently the director of the Centre for Geographical Analysis, Adriaan van Niekerk has been employed at the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Stellenbosch University since 1997.
His research focus is the development of geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing (earth observation) techniques to support decisions concerned with land use, bio-geographical, environmental and socio-economic problems. He has published more than twenty peer-reviewed research articles and has successfully supervised more than thirty masters and doctoral students.
- Geographic object-based image analysis (GEOBIA);
- Automated land cover/use classification;
- Expert-system, ruleset classification;
- Spatial Decision Support Systems,
- Object-orientated Remote Sensing,
- BSc, 1994, Stellenbosch University
- BSc Hons, 1995, Stellenbosch University
- MSc (Cum Laude), 1997, Stellenbosch University
- PhD, 2008, Stellenbosch University
For a full list of professor Van Niekerk’s publications click here
+27 21 808 3101
+27 21 808 3129