MA (Rhodes), PhD (Stellenbosch)
Tel: +2721 808 2042
South African literature; South African film studies; pop culture; philosophy of violence.
South African post-apartheid literature; literature and trauma; literary aporetics.
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- “The new black middle class in South Africa, by Roger Southall”, Safundi 18(1) 2017: 103-104.
- “Testing Style: Imraan Coovadia’s Transformations and the Performance of Restless Wisdom”, Current Writing* 28(1), 2016: 88-95.
- “Inscribing whiteness and staging belonging in contemporary autobiographies and life-writing forms”, English in Africa Special Issue: “Whiteness Studies: A South African Perspective”, Volume 37, 2010.
SELECTED CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
- “Paw-Paw Politics: Lady Skollie and the Curating of Contradiction.” Paper read at UCKAR African Feminisms Conference, July 2017
- “A House Where Nobody Lives: Reading South African Unsettledness Within a Realm of Distance .” Paper presented at the ACLALS conference 12 July 2016.
- “Terror Terroir: ‘Problem Buildings’, Abandoned Spaces and the Aesthetics of the Sub/urban.” Paper presented at AUETSA, Grahamstown 2015.
- Clean Nostalgia: Township Car Washes as Sites of Meaning.” Paper delivered at WISER seminar Curating the Afropolitan City: New Ethnographies of Johannesburg, 2014.
- “Mandela’s Cressida: Sideways Reflections on Automotive Culture in South Africa.” Paper delivered at Stellenbosch University Research Seminar, May 2014.
- “We Don’t Normally Do This Sort of Thing: Teju Cole’s ‘Small Fates’ and the future of (South?) African City Literature.” Paper delivered at UCT symposium on “South African Literatures: Land, Sea, City”, 2013.
- “Thirty”, short story published in the Johannesburg Review of Books, 2017.
- “The Bath”, short story published in various collections including Queer Africa and Recognition. Included in Twenty in 20, a collection of the twenty most significant South African short stories post-1994.
- Dr Mbao is on the Editorial Advisory Panel of the Johannesburg Review of Books. He is also on the Board of Directors of the poetry journal New Contrast.
- Dr Mbao writes literary reviews and other articles for the Johannesburg Review of Books. His articles and interviews have also appeared in the Sunday Times, Africa Is a Country, the Daily Maverick and other sites.