MA Literary Studies, PhD English Studies (UCT)
Tel: +2721 808 3102
Cultural Studies, realism, critical theory, documentary film, ecology and critique
Intellectual History; Critical Theory and Studies in Modernity; Globalisation; Value and the Culture of Objects; Realism; Animal Studies; Nature and Environmental Crisis
- Nature. In Fuelling Culture: 101 Words for Energy and Environment (eds.) Imre Szeman, Jennifer Wenzel, and Patricia Yaeger, New York: Fordham University Press, 2017.
- In and Out of Africa: Iterations with Difference (eds.) Kylie Thomas & Louise Green, London: Routledge, 2016. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/83kGtW642cUMvHJ2dWPD/full (Introduction)
- Apartheid’s wolves: political animals and animal politics. Critical African Studies Critical African Studies 8.2: 146-160, 2016. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/SycJsexPQ2IfhZBsK9YW/full
- Private property and the problem of the miraculous: the Kramats and the city of Cape Town. (with Noëleen Murray) Social Dynamics 38.2: 201-220, 2012. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/mB6njRngbu8cSyaCrtBG/full
- Small Differences. Social Dynamics, (with Gabeba Baderoon) 38.2: 163-171, 2012. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/WKNacZ43ratcdfAF8SQh/full
- Plants and Animals. In: Uncontained: Opening the Community Arts Project Archive (eds.) H. Grunebaum & E. Maurice, Centre for Humanities Research, University of the Western Cape, 194-197, 2012.
- The aphorism and the ‘historical image’: Minima Moralia and Adorno’s politics of form. The Johannesburg Salon, volume 5: 80-85. http://jwtc.org.za/salon_volume_5.htm
- Olive Schreiner and the Labour of Writing. English Academy Review 29: sup1, 159-173, 2012.
- A Landscape with Objects: Private Game Reserves, Game Lodges and the ‘New Safari’ Social Dynamics, 36, 2: 288-301, 2010. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/HsZDbeu2KreHIBzc4dKJ/full
- Notes for a Guide to the Ossuary. (with Noëleen Murray) African Studies, 68, 3: 373-389, 2009. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ukYEgf663YEqacvwRCGE/full
- “The Social Lives of Handmade Things: configuring value in post-apartheid South Africa”. Social Dynamics 34 (2): 2008, 174-185.
- Changing nature: A history of work on Table Mountain 1980-2000. In: Imagining the City: Memories, Space and Identity in Cape Town, Cape Town: HSRC Press, 2007. http://www.hsrcpress.ac.za/product.php?productid=2193&cat=26&page=1
- “The Necessary Conjuction: Science and the Humanities”. Higgins, J. & Green, L. in Scrutiny 212 (1): 2007, 174-185.
- “The Language of Dogs”. Current Writing 18 (1): 2006, 103-118.
- “Burial Grounds: Sacred Sites and Heritage in Post-Apartheid Cape Town”. Green, L. & Murray, N. 2004/05 (Guest Editors) Special Issue Journal of Islamic Studies Vol 24 & 25.
- “Olive Schreiner and the Labour of Writing”. English Academy Review 20: 54-98.
- The Unhealed Wound: Olive Schreiner’s Expressive Art. Pretexts – studies in writing and culture 6(1): 21-34, 1996.
- Commemorating ‘the Plague Act’: Perspectives on the 1913 Natives Land Act (with Manu Ramutsindela & Kylie Thomas) Social Dynamics 39.2, 2013. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/MWkqzE2a5qJxNSmTG8ws/full (Introduction)
- Writing Islam and the everyday in South Africa (with Gabeba Baderoon) Social Dynamics 38.2, 2012. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/WKNacZ43ratcdfAF8SQh/full (Introduction)
- The Ruins of Apartheid and the Future of Research in South Africa. (with Kylie Thomas) Social Dynamics 38.1, 2012. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/AyjhdZAAWEFJwhJrP624/full (Introduction)