Studying Abroad

If you would like information regarding opportunities for studying abroad, contact the International Office directly at tel: +27 21 808 4628 or this e-mail address or go to their webpage: International Office.

There are two ways in which you may qualify to study abroad.

Bilateral exchange

You may study abroad at one of the Bilateral Exchange Partners of Stellenbosch University.

A bilateral exchange is based on a signed agreement that exists between Stellenbosch University and an international institution. Students who participate in bilateral exchanges receive a tuition waiver from the host institution. Students can apply for a short-term programme (e.g. Summer School); a semester; or for a full academic year. Students can take subjects for credit transfer purposes or conduct research during their exchange.


You may also study abroad through the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), which has 260 members throughout the United States and 35 other countries. ISEP members are institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited (U.S. institutions) or recognized by their government or ministry of education (non-U.S. institutions).

  • If you wish to apply to take part in an ISEP exchange, contact this e-mail address or the International Office to set up an appointment in order to discuss your options and to obtain the relevant application documents.
  • When selecting sites, consult the ISEP website (, which offers a search by field of study and links directly to each university’s homepage. You can apply for institutions in the United States as well as institutions participating in Multilateral Exchanges. Institutions participating in Multilateral Exchanges are marked with an *.