Women’s health as well as reproductive health tends to be neglected in the public domain. However, Dr Rizwana Roomaney, a lecturer in the Department of Psychology at Stellenbosch University (SU), wants to help change this. An experienced methodologist, who is registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a Research Psychologist, Dr Roomaney’s work focuses on how psychological, behavioural and cultural factors contribute to women’s physical health.

As part of commemorating South Africa’s Women’s Month, she tells us more about her research.

Tell us more about your research?

My research focuses on women’s health and reproductive health. I am interested in how women experience living with chronic illness, high-risk pregnancy, female cancers and mood disorders. In my work, I have examined aspects of these illnesses, such as health-related quality of life, distress, psychological well-being, self-perception, benefit finding, coping strategies and more. I also want to learn more about how the public uses online platforms such as blogs, medical websites and online support groups in relation to their health.

Why do you think this is such an important research area for women in South Africa (and globally)?

Women’s health is a largely neglected research area. Even more concerning is how neglected it is in the public domain. The impact of illness on women is often kept private, and many suffer in silence. When engaging with women during my research, I am always struck by the lack of spaces for them to share their experiences. I find that when we ask women to complete surveys, they express a need for opportunities to share their experiences in a more qualitative way. Women often deal with their challenges privately, and there aren’t spaces to engage with others. Therefore, many feel isolated – as if they are the only ones experiencing what they are experiencing. And this is why we need to create these spaces, as they can empower women. We must remember that women are important contributors to society and the economy, and that supporting women and helping to improve their quality of life offer benefits that go far beyond the individual.

Why or how did you become interested in this specific area of research?

My interest in women’s health was sparked by my honours supervisor, Prof Michelle Andipatin of the University of the Western Cape. Her devotion to, and interest in the field was infectious, and she invested so much time in developing my skills in the area. She remains one of my mentors. As I engage with women who share their experiences with me, with postgraduate students who are also interested in the area of women’s health, as well as with doctors, nurses and academics both locally and abroad, my interest in this field continues to grow.

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we work and live. What keeps you motivated during these times?

I must admit that I do not buy into the narrative that we have to be motivated all the time. We must accept that it is not always possible to be motivated – I certainly am not. I go through periods of being demotivated. However, even when I am demotivated, I continue to work, and hope that I will get inspired again. My colleagues in the Department of Psychology as well as my students, especially postgraduate students, play a large part in motivating me.

What would your message be to the next generation of women researchers?

I think it is important to surround yourself with people who share your interests and motivate and support you. Many of our next-generation women researchers are postgraduate students, and I would like them to support one another instead of competing with one another. I think we accomplish more when we work together and are genuinely interested in seeing those around us succeed.

In 2020, you were selected as one of 51 black academics in South Africa to be funded by government’s Black Academics Advancement Programme (BAAP) to complete your postdoctoral research (on the psychosocial well-being of men and women who seek fertility treatment). How important is BAAP to black researchers, and how has it benefited you?

BAAP can play an important part in supporting transformation in academic settings. The grant has allowed me to take a two-year break from teaching so that I could focus on my research and build my academic CV by increasing my research outputs and postgraduate throughput. But I also miss teaching, so I’m looking forward to being back in the classroom in 2022.