DLitt, University of Natal, 2002
Professor of Sociology at Stellenbosch since 2006 and DST/NRF Research Chair in the Sociology of Land, Environment and Sustainable Development (from 2016) – see www.cosmopolitankaroo.co.za
Ongoing Interests: Social-ecological change in the Karoo; land restitution and land reform; environmental sociology; rural development; social identity; gender studies.
Publications since 2015:
- 2019 Cherryl Walker, Davide Chinigò and Saul Dubow (eds), Karoo Futures: Astronomy in Space and Place, special issue, Journal of Southern African Studies, 45(4)
- 2019 Cherryl Walker, Cosmopolitan Karoo: Land, Space and Place in the Shadow of the Square Kilometre Array, Journal of Southern African Studies, 45(4)
- 2018 Joh Henschel, Timm Hoffman, Cherryl Walker (eds), Karoo Special Issue: Trajectories of Change in the Anthropocene, special issue, African Journal of Range & Forage Science, 35(3&4)
- 2018 Cherryl Walker, Suzanne J Milton, Tim G O’Connor, Judy M Maguire and Richard W Dean, Drivers and trajectories of social and ecological change in the Karoo, South Africa, African Journal of Range &Forage Science, 35(3&4)
- 2018, Walker, Cherryl and Davide Chinigò, Disassembling the Square Kilometre Array: Astronomy and Development in South Africa. Third World Quarterly, 39(10)
- 2017 Cherryl Walker, The Land Question in South Africa: 1913 and Beyond. In Thomas Spear (ed.), Oxford Research Encyclopedia of African History. Oxford: Oxford University Press, http://africanhistory.oxfordre.com/page/recently-published/
- 2016, Cherryl Walker, Does it matter? Reflections on twenty years of land reform. In Arrigo Pallotti and Ulf Engel (eds.), South Africa after Apartheid: Policies and Challenges of the Democratic Transition. Leiden: Brill
- 2015 Ben Cousins and Cherryl Walker (eds.), Land Divided, Land Restored; Land Reform in South Africa for the 21st Century. Johannesburg: Jacana Media
- 2015 Cherryl Walker, Sketch Map to the Future: Restitution Unbound. In Ben Cousins and Cherryl Walker (eds.), Land Divided, Land Restored; Land Reform in South Africa for the 21st Century. Johannesburg: Jacana Media.