Assoc Prof Ilana Van Wyk
Associate Professor in Social Anthropology
Tel: +27 21 808 2098
PhD, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London
Ongoing Interests: The South African lottery, Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity, pre-colonial money exchange and financial instruments at the Cape, matric balls
- Van Wyk, I. 2021. Suspicious spirits: New Christianity and radical distrust in South Africa. Nordic Journal of African Studies, 30(4): 1-17.
- Van Wyk, I. 2021. Postcolonial Africa and its Lotteries. Critical Gambling Studies. https://doi.org/10.29173/cgs117
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2021. Anthropology. Brill’s Encyclopedia of Global Pentecostalism, Edited by Michael Wilkinson, Connie Au, Jörg Haustein, Todd M. Johnson. Brill: Leiden, Boston, pp. 27-29.
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2020. Crooked prophets and ungodly politicians: Popular Christian engagements in South Africa. PentecoStudies, 19(1): 36-61.
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2019. An Anthropologist in Maputaland. Natalia (49): 65-70.
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2019. “Jacob Zuma’s Shamelessness: Conspicuous Consumption, Politics and Religion”, p. 185-217, in Conspicuous consumption in Africa. Johannesburg: Wits University Press.
- Van Wyk, Ilana & Jimmy Pieterse. 2022. Nationalism, Politics & Anthropology: A Tale of Two South Africans. Conversations with C.S. van der Waal & John Sharp. Langaa Research & Publishing CIG: Mankon, Bamenda.
- Posel, Deborah & Ilana van Wyk. (eds.), 2019. Conspicuous Consumption in Africa, Johannesburg: Wits University Press.
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2015. A church of strangers: The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. Wits University Press (a slightly revised version of the Cambridge Press book)
- Van Wyk, Ilana. 2014. The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God (UCKG) in South Africa: A church of strangers. Cambridge University Press. Africa series.